- International Advisory Board Member of Physiological Measurement Journal 2010-
- Review Panel for NIHR i4i Programme (National Institute of Health Research; Future Product Development; Invention for Innovation) 2010-2012
- Review Panel for NIHR FPD2 funding program (National Institute of Health Research; Future Product Development) 2008-2010
- Member of Industrial Advisory Group for National Physical Laboratory (NPL) ‘Tissue Engineering & Biocompatibility’ programme, 2007-2011
- DIT Biophotonics Strategy Group memeber 2005
- Editorial Board Member of Physiological Measurement Journal 2004-2010
- Institute of Physics in Engineering and Medicine (IPEM) Special Interest Group on "Healthcare Informatics and Computing” 2002-2004
- Institute of Electrical Engineers (IEE) Professional Group Committee "Medical Electronics" (S9) 1994-1997
- Institute of Physics in Engineering and Medicine (IPEM) Special Interest Group on "Physiological Measurements" 1994-1997
Meetings Organised etc.
- Biological Engineering Society's Biomaterials, and Electrodes and Electrodes and Transducer Group Meeting: "Encapsulation of Electrodes and Transducers for Implants", John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, 12th November, 1982
- Biological Engineering Society's Biomaterials, and Electrodes and Electrodes and Transducer Group Meeting: "Electrochemical Transducers for the Measurement of Biological Compounds" 11th November, 1983 [The BES and other organisations became the IPEM].
- Treasurer of the "2nd International Conference on Fetal and Neonatal Physiological Measurements", John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, 2nd-4th April, 1984.
- IEE colloquium on "Pulse Oximetry: A critical appraisal", 30th April 1996, IEE, Savoy Place, London.
- IEE colloquium on "Time-frequency analysis of biomedical signals", 29th January 1997, IEE, Savoy Place, London.
- Joint Organiser of IPEM 2 day workshop on "Telemetry of Biological Signals", August 1998, Sea Mammal Research Unit, St Andrews, Dundee.
- Guest Editor of: Special issue of IEE Proceedings A 'Science, Measurement & Technology' on "Biomedical Signal Processing", 145, (6), 269-326, November 1998.
- Member of Scientific Committee for “Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine 5th Annual meeting”, Nottingham, September 1999
- Co-organiser of Special Session on “Antepartum Fetal and Maternal Monitoring” at 2nd European Medical and Biological Engineering Conference, December 2002, Vienna, Austria
- IPEM meeting on “Telemedicine and the Grid”, 28th September 2004, York.
Participation in International Workshops
- Member of EU Funded Concerted Action on "Near infrared spectroscopy & Imaging" [1993-1995]
- Two-week NATO Advanced Study Institute on "Wavelets and their Applications", Il Ciocco, Barga, Italy. August 1992