This is a page on configuring and using the Raspberry Pi and Rasbian. This could be adapted to other ARM based linux OSs. Details could be out of order and the page will need sorting at a later point.
The default user and password for Rasbian is;
Change as needed using
passwd in terminal
startx in terminal
Open terminal and enter;
sudo passwd root
enter the `comppassword` x2.
Change some settings of the OS by entering in terminal;
including the start-up routine.
Setting your IP address
- Edit /etc/network/interfaces
- Add midway;
iface eth0 inet static
address 128.243.74.xxx replace 'xxx' with your own IP
dns-nameservers 188.8.131.52 184.108.40.206 220.127.116.11
- Add, as root, to the end of the file '/etc/environment' the line;
export http_proxy=http ://18.104.22.168:62267
- Create file '/etc/apt/apt.conf' and '/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10proxy', and add to both;
Acquire::http::Proxy "http ://22.214.171.124:62267";
- Install synaptic;
sudo apt-get synaptic
- Use synaptic to install stuff. I've installed KDE.
- For KDM, change in /etc/kde4/kdm -> allowrootlogin = true
You need to install libusb-dev before attempting to compile phidgets.
Few things here, may be unnecessary in newer versions of Rasbian
- Update if haven't already
sudo apt-get update
- Edit /etc/modprobe.d/raspi-blacklist.conf and comment out (using #) blacklist spi-bcm2708 (alternatively use
sudo modprobe spi-bcm2708 for single use)
- For C interface, download in terminal to somewhere local;
I couldn't get it to download, so I did it manually.
- Build the library;
This creates the library libpifacedigital.a.
- When making your code, use this;
gcc -o example example.c -Isrc/ -L. -lpifacedigital -L../libmcp23s17/ -lmcp23s17
(plus other flags like -lphidgets21)